Collaboratory started as a game innovation lab idea around 2009 at Idun Design (later Story Architect). 2013 – 2015 a living lab prototype of the idea was built in a big space in Gothenburg Film Studios in Sweden. A local community collaborated on building the space that included a next generation makerspace, art/film/game studio and work spaces, and events for co-creation, R&D and game making. 2018 we had a temporary space and events in Stockholm. Now the community is global and active through events, but there is no physical space due to lack of funding mainly. It would be interesting to scale up the concept because of its many values for society, and this site provides some guidelines that could help that process, or just serve as inspiration for other initiatives. What makes Collaboratory different from other game hubs, innovation labs and makerspaces, is a foundation on story and interactivity design, as well as taking responsibility through social innovation. Below is a mindmap of the components of the Collaboratory ecosystem and the vision/goals.
The goals of Collaboratory
- Be a story and game driven empowerment platform.
- Build a research and development centre for interactive arts, an institute similar to MIT, the Film Institute in Stockholm or Ars Electronica, but for interactive arts and game culture.
- Support freelancers, students and start-ups from idea to distribution, by sharing resources, knowledge and networks, and with possibilities for new jobs.
- Support other initiatives and provide space for their meet-ups and volunteers (Diversi, IGDA Sweden, Kids hack, Sharing Gbg etc).
- Be an open innovation accelerator for both big and small companies. A cross-generational freezone for industry, academia and community to meet, co-create and inspire.
- Strengthen the game and film industries, and increase the diversity, inclusion and quality of interactive, electronic and new media arts.
- Curate game jams, inclusive workshops and lectures, career development labs and labs where the city becomes a play and test ground, also for new tech.
- Create platforms for large scale experience design and transmedia productions.
- Build full scale prototyping workshops/makerspaces.
- Build a sustainable ecosystem for creators by improving working conditions, inclusion and business models, increasing the value of non-mainstream art, culture, intellectual and social capital.
- Actively promote STEAM education and support youth with diverse cognitive skills.
- Have event productions and venues for conferences and art exhibitions and installations, as well as providing an attractive artist residence for international professionals.
- Encourage a DIY and maker philosophy where people are empowered and learn that they can be the architects of their own future and do not have to wait for someone to give them permission.